Contact Name: Scott Smith – President and Owner
Location: Salmon Hole Lodge consists of 2 locations, 3 miles apart, both on the banks of the La Poile River
Contact Details: Click to Send Email
Asking Price: $450,000 CAD
*The below information while deemed to be correct is not guaranteed. All measurements should not be relied upon without independent verification.
The acquisition of Salmon Hole Lodge is a unique opportunity to purchase a business that controls a 50-year Crown lease that provides access to a prime stretch of wilderness and Atlantic salmon angling water on the La Poile River along with its repeat customer base, strong brand name and excellent fishing for Atlantic salmon and sea-run Brook Trout. The Lodge is currently being offered ‘turnkey’ with all necessary infrastructure and equipment for continuing its operation.
Having said that, despite it’s 50+ year history of providing guided fly-fishing vacations to thousands of satisfied customers, a new owner could utilize Salmon Hole Lodge as his or her own private cottage / summer retreat / Atlantic salmon fishing paradise.
A new owner will recognize the following benefits:
- The present owner has complemented his investment by adding infrastructure and making improvements while retaining the pristine beauty of the La Poile River valley.
- Ownership of Salmon Hole Lodge is an offer that provides unique access to 19 productive salmon pools spread over 8 miles of the La Poile River.
- Government land-use and outfitter location policies and by-laws specifically prohibit additional Tourist Establishment Licences being issued for the La Poile River watershed therefore expansion into the area by other outfitters is prohibited. Furthermore, government land-use policies specifically prohibit development of any kind (residential, commercial or industrial) in this large area. Since its inception in 1967 and continuing into the foreseeable future, Salmon Hole Lodge Ltd. has been and will continue to be the sole permanent resident of the entire La Poile River valley and watershed area.
- Following the successful sale of Salmon Hole Lodge Ltd., the present owner, Scott Smith, can be available (on request) to assist the new owner in the transition of the business by providing instructions and guidance regarding day-to-day operations as well as providing instructions and guidance regarding administrative duties such as renewing annual Tourist Establishment Licence; filing Records of Employment and T4 slips; paying Source Deductions (payroll remittances) and filing quarterly HST returns; communications with customers, etc.
- Because of its remote location (accessible by boat, plane or helicopter), Salmon Hole Lodge provides a sought-after angling experience. No waiting in line to fish; frequent sightings of unique wildlife (moose, caribou); no encounters with other people on the river; excellent fishing catch results all result in a rare escape from today’s fast paced world.
- The Upper Camp has 12 beds for guests – 6 in the communal bunkroom, 2 beds in each of the two newer bedrooms and 2 beds in the Guest Cabin. Only 6 of these beds are used at any one time as the camp capacity has been limited to 6 guests to provide an optimum angling experience. The guides and cook have their own building with bedrooms. In addition to the bunkroom and 2 bedrooms, the Upper Camp also includes the kitchen, dining area and fully covered deck. The Upper Camp site also includes 2 washrooms; generator storage; a storage building which contains freezer, tool storage, workshop and building material storage; a gravity-fed water supply system and a septic system.
- The Lower Camp is located in the hamlet of North Bay at the mouth of the LaPoile River. The cabin contains 4 sets of bunk beds in 2 bedrooms. A separate washroom building contains toilet, basin, shower and water heater. The garage / storage shed houses the generator. Also included are gravity fed water supply and septic system.
- Principal equipment includes 2 Polaris Ranger ATVs (2003 Ranger 4×4 and 2012 Ranger 6×6) and a Massey Ferguson MF65 farm tractor and trailer.
- The full kitchens allow guests to enjoy very nice regional cuisine and are laid out to facilitate meal prep, cooking and service.
This property has been owned by the Smith Family for over 50 years. All buildings and equipment are in good condition and have been well maintained.
Salmon Hole Lodge consists of 2 locations, 3 miles apart, both on the banks of the La Poile River:
1) The Upper Camp (aka the main camp) is located 5 km (3 miles) upriver from the mouth of the La Poile River (Tourist Establishment Licence #16). This ‘campus’ of five buildings (main lodge, guides’ quarters, storage building, guest cabin and shower / generator building) is located on Crown Land that is leased from the provincial Government of Newfoundland and Labrador (Crown Land Lease #75138) – a 50-year, renewable lease that runs to the year 2040 and that can be extended when the current term expires.
2) The Lower Camp is located in the hamlet of North Bay which is located at the mouth of the LaPoile River (Tourist Establishment Licence #2293). This campus of three buildings (cabin, garage and washroom facility) is located on land (80 feet x 100 feet) that is owned by Salmon Hole Lodge Ltd.