Thompson Okanagan Hotel, Motel & Inn Services
Hotel, Motel & Inn Real Estate Appraisals are my flagship service. Every year I have the pleasure of visiting hotels, motels & Inns across British Columbia for the purpose of completing commercial real estate appraisals.
These unique businesses require a unique solution when it comes time to sell. My “Business Exit Solution” provides a variety of tools to professionally sell a Hotel, Motel or Inn in the most efficient, cost effective way.
Economics and research service that provides analysis and research services on the lodging industry. My work helps clients make strategic decisions, evaluate programs and business alternatives and determine economic and financial contributions.
Thompson Okanagan Hotel, Motel & Inn Industry Overview
BC residents make up the largest share of overnight visitation (61%) and spending (44%) in the Thompson Okanagan region. Alberta residents make up the second largest share of overnight visitation (19%) and spending (28%).
As of 2019, there are approximately 400 active hotel, motel & inn properties in the region. Half of BC residents and more than a third of other Canadians visiting the Thompson Okanagan region stayed with friends and family. The most popular accommodation for international visitors was staying with friends and family, followed by hotels.
- Kelowna and Kamloops are the most visited destinations in the Thompson Okanagan and also contribute over 50% of room revenue receipts.
- Penticton is a popular beachside community. The two other communities in the region which have experienced the strongest revenue growth are Oliver/Okanagan Falls and Osoyoos.
- Motels earn a higher proportion of room revenue in the Thompson Okanagan than in other B.C. tourism regions. There are few very large hotels (+250 rooms) in this region.
Thompson Okanagan Hotel, Motel & Inn Industry Articles and Publications
Sample Thompson Okanagan Hotel, Motel & Inn Sale Capitalization Rates
The following list reflects capitalization rates for Thompson Okanagan hotels, motels & inns that have been derived from recent sales in my extensive transaction database.
Capitalization Rate = Net Income / Sale Price
- Howard Johnson Inn, Vernon – 6.9% cap
- Sandy Beach Motel, Osoyoos – 7.4% cap
- Hotel Eldorado, Kelowna – 7.5% cap
- Holiday Inn Express, Kamloops – 7.6% cap
- Comfort Inn & Suites, Salmon Arm – 8.5% cap
- Super 8, Vernon – 9.1% cap
- Econo Lodge Inn & Suites, Kamloops – 9.3% cap
- Howard Johnson Inn, Vernon – 9.4% cap
- Knights Inn, Merritt – 9.7% cap
Because lodging facilities are income-producing properties that are normally bought and sold on the basis of capitalization of their anticipated stabilized earning power, often the greatest weight is given to the value indicated by the income capitalization approach.
Estimate of Market Value = Net Income / Capitalization Rate
Sample Thompson Okanagan Hotel, Motel & Inn Sale Prices Per Room
Another way that hotels, motels & inns are commonly valued is the sales comparison approach which uses actual sales of similar properties to provide an indication of the subject property’s value.
The following sample of lodging property sales in the Thompson Okanagan region will help you develop a broad value range for your hotel, motel or inn:
- Super 8, West Kelowna – $37,000 per room
- The Plaza Hotel, Kamloops – $37,300 per room
- Howard Johnson Inn, Vernon – $44,100 per room
- Jubilee Motel, Penticton – $46,200 per room
- Sportman’s Motel, Merritt – $46,400 per room
- Travelodge, Merritt – $50,000 per room
- The Westridge Inn Resort, Osoyoos – $57,600 per room
- Howard Johnson Inn, Vernon – $59,500 per room
- Super 8, Vernon – $63,145 per room
- Knights Inn, Kamloops – $65,000 per room
- Village Green Hotel, Vernon – $68,400 per room
- Econo Lodge Inn & Suites, Kamloops – $71,000 per room
- Green Gables Beach Resort, Osoyoos – $73,300 per room
- Super 8, Penticton – $76,500 per room
- Apple Tree Inn, Penticton – $76,700 per room
- Knights Inn, Merritt – $77,500 per room
- Lakeside Villa Inn & Suites, Penticton – $83,200 per room
- Abbott Villa on the Lake, Kelowna – $84,600 per room
- Super 8, Lake Country – $86,300 per room
- Best Western Inn, Penticton – $87,500 per room
- Comfort Inn & Suites, Salmon Arm – $87,700 per room
- Days Inn, Kamloops – $88,400 per room
- Econo Lodge, Kelowna – $90,900 per room
- Holiday Inn Express, Kamloops – $111,300 per room
- Podollan Inn, Salmon Arm – $111,300 per room
- Comfort Inn & Suites, Kamloops – $112,600 per room
- Waterfront Inn, Penticton – $120,000 per room
- Thompson Hotel & Conference Centre, Kamloops – $130,600 per room
- Coast Osoyoos Beach Hotel, Osoyoos – $142,600 per room
- Waterfront Inn, Penticton – $165,400 per room
- Sandy Beach Motel, Osoyoos – $303,700 per room
The sales outlined above indicate a value range of $37,000 to $303,700 per available room. Several adjustments will be necessary to render these sales prices applicable to your property. The adjustments, which tend to be subjective, diminish the reliability of the sales comparison approach; furthermore, typical hotel investors employ a sales comparison procedure only to establish broad value parameters.
Thompson Okanagan Hotel, Motel & Industry Research Reports
Since the formulation of the previous Penticton Destination Marketing Strategy in 2010, Tourism Penticton and the Penticton Hospitality Association (PHA) have worked independently to promote our region and during that time tourism has experienced a steady growth.
Tourism is a major economic generator for the City of Kelowna and its surrounding municipalities and region. Tourism contributes directly to employment and economic growth in the region through the ongoing operations and activities of different firms that serve tourists.
The Destination Osoyoos Business Plan has been developed through a combination of review of the previous five-year business plan which was developed in 2017 for our 2018 MRDT renewal.
This profile provides an overview of the region and summarizes the latest data available about overnight travellers visiting the Thompson Okanagan.
The Thompson Okanagan Tourism Association is actively monitoring the impact of COVID-19 on the tourism industry through our partnerships with the BC Regional Tourism Secretariat and the British Columbia Hotel Association
This report summarizes key highlights for the Thompson Okanagan (TOTA) region taken from the British Columbia In-Market study conducted in November 2011 and April 2012. A full report on the findings, plus summaries of the other BC tourism regions are available under separate covers.
Education, Affiliations and Volunteer Activities
Frontier Hospitality Advisor is an Okanagan based hotel, motel & inn appraisal service. I specialize in appraising Thompson Okanagan Hotels, Motels & Inns for refinancing or purchase financing, foreclosure or power of sale, divorce or settlement, purchase or sale considerations, legal purposes, estate & retirement planning.
Naramata, Okanagan Falls, Oliver, Osoyoos, Penticton, Kelowna, Lake Country, Peachland, Summerland, West Kelowna, Armstrong, Enderby, Vernon, Princeton, Keremeos, Christina Lake, Grand Forks, Greenwood, Barriere, Blue River, Clearwater/Wells Gray, Valemount, Logan Lake, Kamloops, Ashcroft, Cache Creek, Merritt, Chase, Salmon Arm, Sicamous
Please fill out the form and I will respond within 24 hours.
This article has been prepared by Frontier Hospitality Advisor for general information only. Frontier Hospitality Advisor makes no guarantees, representations or warranties of any kind, expressed or implied, regarding the information including, but not limited to, warranties of content, accuracy and reliability. Any interested party should undertake their own inquiries as to the accuracy of the information. Frontier Hospitality Advisor excludes unequivocally all inferred or implied terms, conditions and warranties arising out of this article and excludes all liability for loss and damages arising there from.